Latest European and International developments on migration and asylum issues 2012
Date Published: 06-12-2012
6 December 2012
- Conclusions of the European Council and representatives of Governments of Member States on the participation and social inclusion of young people with emphasis on those with a migrant background.
- European Parliament committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs state that the protection of the lives of migrants and refugees should be a key aim of the EU’s new Eurosur border surveillance system.
- European Parliament issue report on the situation of fundamental rights in the European Union (2010 - 2011).
- New figures from Eurostat show that EU27 Member States granted citizenship to approximately 810,000 persons in 2010. Ireland granted citizenship to 6,400 in 2010, which represents an increase of 42 per cent on 2009 figures (4,500). During 2010, the largest groups that acquired citizenship of Ireland were citizens of Nigeria, Philippines and India.
- Eurostat’s EU in the world 2013 provides a snapshot of official world statistics including details on population and asylum applications.
- European Commission (EuropeAid) funded study on EU Remittances for Developing Countries, Remaining Barriers, Challenges and Recommendations published.
- OECD publish report on Indicators of integration of immigrants and their children. This publication presents the first international comparison across OECD countries of the outcomes for immigrants and their children in the main area of economic and social integration.
- WHO European review of social determinants of health and the health divide includes the situation of irregular migrants
- COFACE reports on a) Trans-national families and the Impact of economic migration on families, b) Education and the role of migrant parents for integration of migrant and Roma children, and c)The Family dimension of the EU Asylum policy.
- Opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee on "The contribution of migrant entrepreneurs to the EU economy" (own-initiative opinion) published (OJ C 351/16 of 15.11.2012)
- Committee of the Regions publish Draft Opinion on "The EU strategy towards the eradication of trafficking in human beings 2012-2016".
- Outcomes of Expert Conference on Integration of Immigrants hosted under Cypriot Presidency.
- Court of Auditors Press Conference on "Do the European Integration Fund and European Refugee Fund contribute effectively to the integration of third-country nationals?" on 11 December 2012 in Brussels.
15 November 2012
- New European Commission Communication on the implementation and development of the common visa policy to spur growth in the EU [COM(2012) 649] could help growth in the EU by facilitating travel opportunities for third country nationals wishing to visit the EU.
- The European Commission proposes visa-free travel to citizens of 16 Island Nations amending Visa Regulation 539/2001.
- The European Commission present a report on the functioning of Local Schengen Cooperation during the first two years of implementation of the Visa Code to the Council and European Parliament.
- Commissioner Andor, European Commissioner responsible for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, speaks on Improving access to labour market information for migrants & employers at IOM LINET labour market conference.
- European Parliament resolution of 5 April 2011 on migration flows arising from instability: scope and role of EU foreign policy published in Official Journal of the European Union.
- European Court of Justice judgment (C-40/11) that a third-country national who resides legally in the Member State of origin of his daughter and his spouse, while they have moved to another Member State, cannot rely on their EU citizenship in order to base his right of residence on EU law.
- Recent Eurostat release on asylum applicants and first instance decisions on asylum applications: second quarter 2012 shows that nearly 70 000 persons sought asylum in the EU-27 in Q2 2012, 10 per cent less compared to same quarter of 2011.
- One of the findings of a recent Eurofound report on NEETs Young people not in employment, education or training: Characteristics, costs and policy responses in Europe shows that young people with an immigration background are 70% more likely to become NEET compared to other young people.
- Frontex release Risk Analysis Network for Q2 2012
- Frontex publish Situational update: Migratory situation at the Greek-Turkish border and a Training manual for Border Guards on combating trafficking
- ICMPD publish Feasibility study on the labour market performance of regularised migrants in Europe (REGANE I)
- The Centre for European Studies issue Policy Brief on Migrating towards participation: Immigrants and their descendants in the political process
- ILO publish report on Gender equality and decent work
- e-Diasporas Atlas is a unique experiment in research on diasporas and publishing. Involving some 80 researchers worldwide, the project introduced digital methods into research on diasporas.
- Fundamental Rights Agency Newsletter - November 2012.
- Migration Policy Centre Newsletter - November 2012.
- PICUM Bulletin - 15 November 2012.
- Call for Proposal: Pilot Project - Analysis of reception, protection and integration policies for unaccompanied minors in the EU. The main objective of this Pilot project is to identify good practices on prevention, reception, protection and integration policies for unaccompanied minors. Deadline: 8 January 2013.
- European Union Democracy Observatory (EUDO) 2012 Dissemination Conference on The Euro Crisis and the State of European Democracy, hosted by European University Institute, Florence on 22-23 November 2012.
- Interdisciplinary conference on Migration: Global development, new frontiers, jointly organised by the NORFACE Research Programme on Migration and the Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM) at University College London from 10 - 13 April, 2013. Paper submission deadline: 16 December, 2012 .
- PICUM workshop on Migrants and the right to equal treatment in Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus on 21 November 2012.
23 October 2012
- Commissioner Malmström attends a conference on Working together towards eradication of trafficking in human beings: the way forward to mark the 6th EU Anti-Trafficking Day on 18 October 2012 . The conference focused on the recently adopted EU Strategy on Trafficking in Human Beings.
- Anna Terrón Cusí is appointed as Special Adviser to Commissioner Malmström on migration and mobility issues in relation with North Africa.
- The European Asylum Support Office (EASO) launches its new website www.easo.europa.eu.
- PICUM launch a webdocumentary entitled “Undocumentary”, with five thematic chapters (Criminalisation, Work, Women, Children and Health Care) including interviews from undocumented migrants, advocates and experts from seven European countries (Belgium, Cyprus, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Sweden).
- The European Asylum Support Office publish it’s 2013 Work Programme.
- The European Parliament release a draft report on the integration of migrants, its effects on the labour market and the external dimension of social security coordination.
- World Disasters Report 2012 - Focus on forced migration and displacement is published by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
- Eurostat release annual results (2011) of EU Labour Force Survey.
- First issue of UniteEurope newsletter aims to support local decision makers and pan-European organisations in the realm of migrant integration.
- October issue of PICUM Bulletin provides an update on the issue of undocumented migrants in Europe and the rest world.
- Latest COFACE newsletter includes an article on Families across borders: the family impact of economic migration.
- Fundamental Rights Agency issue October 2012 newsletter.
Call for Papers/Nominations
- Call for Papers: NORFACE Migration Interdisciplinary Conference - Migration: Global Development, New Frontiers.
- Call for Nominations: IMISCOE Maria Ioannis Baganha PhD Dissertation Award 2013. This annual prize is awarded to what the IMISCOE Award Committee deems the best dissertation in the field of migration, integration and social cohesion in Europe.
- ILO course on Fostering the social and professional reintegration of return labour migrants - Encourager la réintégration socioprofessionnelle des migrants de retour (English and French) Turin, Italy, 26-30 November 2012.
- European Institute of Public Affairs (EIPA) Course: How Can Member States Better Promote Cross-Border Mobility? The Free Movement of Persons, Recognition of Qualifications and Social Security Rights, Maastrict, The Netherlands, 6-7 December 2012.
21 September 2012
- The European Parliament’s Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) politically endorse the revised Dublin Regulation and Reception Conditions Directives for refugees.
- The European Parliament’s Committee on Employment and Social Affairs propose new legislation to boost protection for workers posted abroad within the EU.
- The European Commission propose a new global humanitarian Regulation establishing EU Aid Volunteers.
- European Economic and Social Committee Opinion on the Contribution of migrant entrepreneurs to economy.
- European Economic and Social Committee Opinion on the Asylum and Migration Fund.
- European Economic and Social Committee Opinion on Solidarity in the field of Asylum.
- European Economic and Social Committee Opinion on Posting of workers.
Reports / Newsletters
- Background note of the ACP Observatory: Musical Transfers from Latin America and the Caribbean to Africa.
- Fundamental Rights Agency issue September 2012 newsletter.
- Migration Policy Centre release August 2012 newsletter.
- European Court of Justice judgment on Schengen Borders Code - Decision 2010/252/EU - Surveillance of the sea external borders - Introduction of additional rules governing border surveillance - Commission’s implementing powers - Scope - Application for annulment, Case C-355/10.
- European Court of Justice judgment of the Court (Second Chamber) Atiqullah Adil v Minister voor Immigratie, Integratie en Asiel, Schengen Borders Code Articles 20, 21, Case C-278/12 PPU.
Call for papers
- NORFACE - Call for Papers: Workforce Heterogeneity and its Impact, deadline: 28 September 2012.
- Fourteenth Mediterranean Research Meeting - Call for Papers, deadline: 6 October 2012.
- The Cypriot EU Presidency and the European Commission are organising a high-level conference entitled "6th EU Anti-Trafficking Day-Working together towards the eradication of trafficking in human beings: The Way Forward" in Brussels on 18 October 2012.
- The Fundamental Rights Agency will host its annual Fundamental Rights Conference, entitled "Ensuring access to justice in times of economic crisis", at the European Parliament, Brussels on 6-7 December 2012.
22 August 2012
- The European Commission adopt a decision to further harmonize issuing of short stay visas. From now on visa applicants in Chile, Kazakhstan (Almaty and Astana), Nicaragua and Nigeria (Abuja and Lagos) should present the same set of documents supporting their application for a short stay visa, irrespectively of which EU States' consulate is in charge of examining their application.
- The European Ombudsman invites public consultation into the implementation by Frontex of its fundamental rights obligations.
- The European Commission publish its report to the Council and the European Parliament on the future development of the European Migration Network (EMN).
- The European Asylum Support Office (EASO) publishes its first Annual Report on the Situation of Asylum in the European Union and on the Activities of the European Asylum Support Office for 2011.
20 July 2012
- The European Commission adopt a decision to harmonize procedures for issuing short stay visas in the United Kingdom. From now on visa applicants residing in the United Kingdom should present the same set of documents supporting their application for a short stay visa, irrespectively of which Member States' consulate is in charge of examining the application.
- The European Commission launch a new dialogue with Southern Mediterranean countries on higher education policies and programmes to assess the challenges faced in higher education and how the EU can strengthen its cooperation and support for them in the future.
- The Civil Liberties Committee of the European Parliament call for a permanent system for relocating internationally protected persons within the EU which would help to improve asylum policy solidarity among EU Member States. Suggestions include an "EU distribution key" for relocating beneficiaries of international protection which would use objective indicators, such as Member States' GDP, population, surface area and beneficiaries' best interests and integration prospects.
- The European Commission announce a call for proposals under its Seventh Framework Programme for Research (FP7). Under Theme 8, “Social Sciences and Humanities” the topic of temporary migration and mobility patterns is considered.
- A Eurostat release on marriages with foreign-born persons in 30 European countries shows that for period 2008-10, one in 12 married persons was in a mixed marriage.
 A mixed marriage is a defined as a marriage between a native-born person living in a country and someone born abroad
Reports / Newsletters
- The European Asylum Support Office (EASO) publish a Country of Origin Information report on Afghanistan.
- Frontex release Risk Analysis Network (FRAN) Q1 2012 report.
- Fundamental Rights Agency issue July 2012 newsletter.
- Eurofound launch third annual 'Living and working in Europe' report.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) and Eurasylum Ltd publish a bi-monthly Migration Policy Practice Journal for June-July 2012.
- The Migration Policy Centre publish report on Arab Uprisings and Migration.
27 June 2012
- The EU and Turkey have initialled a readmission agreement to “return persons who are irregularly residing on their territories, in full respect of international law and fundamental rights”.
- The European Commission has started a dialogue on visa liberalisation with Georgia with the overall aim to allow Georgian citizens to travel to the EU without a visa. The Commission has also delivered a roadmap for visa liberalisation to Kosovo outlining requirements for “visa-free travel”.
- The European Commission are holding a consultation on the future rules on the entry and residence of non-EU national researchers, students, school pupils, unremunerated trainees and volunteers in the EU.
- The European Parliament publish legislative proposal setting out the provisions of the Asylum and Migration Fund (Instrument for financial support for police cooperation, preventing and combating crime, and crisis management: general provisions).
- The European Commission request Cyprus to sanction employers of irregular migrants.
- European Court of Justice opinion that EU law can confer on a parent, who is a third-country national and has custody rights, a right of residence in his child’s State of origin if that child has moved with the other parent to another Member State.
- European Court of Justice judgment C-611/10 and C-612/10 that EU law does not prevent a Member State from granting family benefits to posted or seasonal workers in respect of whom it is not, in principle, the competent Member State.
- European Court of Justice judgment C-15/11 that during a transitional period of up to five years following Bulgaria's accession to the EU, the conditions of access by Bulgarian students to the labour market of another Member State may not be more restrictive than those applicable to students who are third-country national.
- European Court of Justice judgment C-606/10 that EU law does not preclude French rules which ban the re-entry into France of third-country nationals who are holders of a temporary residence permit in the absence of a re-entry visa.
- European Court of Justice judgment that criminal offences covered by the concept of “particularly serious crime” referred to in the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union may justify deporting an EU citizen, even if that person has lived for more than ten years in the host Member State.
Reports / Newsletters
- European Commission publish biannual report on the functioning of the Schengen area for period 1 November 2011 to 30 April 2012.
- Latest European Parliament statistical spotlight on Asylum.
- Fundamental Rights Agency publish 2011 Annual Report and June 2012 Newsletter.
- Migration Policy Institute Newsletter (June 2012) on recent research activities.
- PICUM launch report on Strategies to End Double Violence Against Undocumented Women.
- Results from EU funded project on Gender-related asylum claims in Europe: a comparative analysis of law policies and practice focusing on women in nine EU member states.
- Policy Brief on Immigration in Recession published by EU funded project PEGGED.
- NORFACE newsletter (May 2012) provides information on forthcoming conference, and the latest news and information about recent Norface discussion papers.
- Latest newsletter (May 2012) from Household International Migration Surveys in the Mediterranean Countries (MED-HIMS).
- 2011 USA statistics on numbers on Refugees and Asylees, and Naturalizations
- Ipsos Mori Global @dvisor Survey provide findings on public attitudes to immigration survey reveals negative attitudes to immigration.
- Results of a transnational Immigrant Citizens Survey which aims to increase the voice of immigrants in the development of integration policies.
- Forthcoming European Institute of Public Administration events on Free Movement and Migration.
1 June 2012
- New proposal by the European Commission aims to improve the overall efficiency of the EURODAC system - a biometric database for comparing fingerprints of asylum seekers which ensures proper implementation of the Dublin Regulation. The proposal addresses data protection requirements, provides deadlines for transmission of data and ensures compatibility with asylum legislation. The proposal will also enable progress in the development the EU's Common European Asylum System.
22 May 2012
- Outcomes of Justice and Home Affairs Council, April 2012 include conclusions on EU action on migratory pressure - A strategic response; Global Approach on Migration and Mobility (GAMM); Common European Asylum System (CEAS); and Readmission agreements.
- European Commission advance infringement proceedings and issue reasoned opinions requesting Lithuania and Poland to bring their laws into line with the Employer Sanctions Directive (Directive 2009/52/EC).
- European Union supports historic step in regional cooperation between Western Balkan countries on refugees and displaced persons.
- European Commission asks the UK to comply with European Union rules on the free movement of EU citizens and their families across the EU.
- Non-EU seasonal workers would enjoy basic working and living conditions, such as a minimum wage and decent accommodation, under draft legislation endorsed by the European Parliament Civil Liberties Committee.
- Schengen Treaty Member States may re-impose checks at internal borders in the event of a serious threat to their public policy or to internal security, for up to ten days, says draft legislation as amended by the European Parliament Civil Liberties Committee
- Fundamental Rights Agency Newsletter for May 2012 provides information about recent and forthcoming Agency activities, publications and events.
- European Court of Justice judgment that a Member State cannot impose excessive and disproportionate charges for the grant of residence permits to third-country nationals who are long-term residents and to members of their families.
- European Court of Justice judgment that EU law precludes national or regional legislation which treats third-country nationals who are long-term residents differently from EU citizens with regard to the allocation of funds for housing benefit.
- The Immigrant Citizens Survey (ICS), piloted by the King Baudouin Foundation and the Migration Policy Group is launched in 15 difference cities in 7 difference countries.
- Report published by CARIM-India on Developing a knowledge base for policymaking on India-EU migration.
- Report by MPI examining Rise of Radical-Right Parties in Europe and Assesses the Role of Immigration as a Factor in those Gains .
- Frontex publish Annual Risk Analysis (ARA) for 2012 which presents an analysis of events related to border control as well as to illegal border crossing and different forms.
19 April 2012
- European Commission Communication: Towards a job-rich recovery (COM (2012) 173) outlines new measures and identifies key opportunities for EU job-rich recovery, including some aspects of economic migration.
- European Commission Communication: The External Dimension of EU Social Security Coordination (COM (2012) 153) aims to boost social security rights for people migrating to and from the European Union.
- European Commission report on the Application of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights (COM (2012) 169) reviews progress in ensuring the effective implementation of the Charter and highlights important developments in 2011.
- European Commission initiative on examining tax measures for cross-border workers in European Union.
- European Parliament report on Equality between women and men in the European Union – 2011.
- European Parliament report on Abused domestic workers in Europe: the case of au-pairs.
- European Court of Justice judgment that a Member State may impose criminal penalties for aiding illegal immigration when the persons who have infiltrated Union territory, nationals of non-member countries, hold visas fraudulently obtained but not yet annulled (C-83/12).
- European Court of Justice opinion on a serious infringement of the freedom of religion may constitute an ‘act of persecution’ where the asylum seeker, by exercising that freedom or as a result of infringing the restrictions placed on the exercise of that freedom, runs a real risk of being deprived of his most fundamental rights (C-71/11 and C-99/11).
- Migration Policy Centre Newsletter March 2012.
Courses and Summer Schools at European level
- European Institute of Public Administration course: Management and Control Structures for Migration Funds, Maastricht, Netherlands, 26-27 April 2012
- European Institute of Public Administration course: Improving Member States Asylum Systems and Defining Good Practices, Valetta, Malta, 11-12 June 2012
- Migration Policy Centre VIII Migration Summer School: Social Movements, Systemic Change and Migration, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 25 June - 6 July 2012
- Odysseus Summer School: European Union Law and Policy on Immigration and Asylum, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, 2-13 July 2012
- ILO Labour Migration Academy: Facilitating Good Governance, Enhancing Protection and Promoting Development, Turin, Italy, 2-13 July 2012
14 March 2012
- The Justice and Home Affairs Council meeting of 8 March finalised conclusions regarding the strengthening of Schengen governance; adopted conclusions on a common framework for solidarity towards member states facing particular pressures on their asylum systems, including through mixed migration flows; looked at proposals to improve the Common European Asylum System (CEAS) and adopted common EU resettlement priorities for 2013.
- Address by Commissioner MALMSTRÖM on economic migration at Seminar on 'Europe's labour migration policy: The Swedish solution' hosted by the Permanent Representation of Sweden to Belgium.
- European Court of Justice opinion on expulsion of a Union citizen who has lived more than ten years in the host Member State can be subject to an expulsion process where his criminal conduct endangers public security (C-348/09).
6 March 2012
- Video of European Parliament debate on the right to family reunification of third-country nationals living in the EU (27 February 2012) and responses to the European Commission’s public consultation on the Family Reunification Directive.
- The European Commission formally request three Member States (Austria, Cyprus and Greece) to transpose rules of the Blue Card Directive which aims to attract highly skilled people to come to work in the EU.
- The European Commission issue reasoned opinions requesting Belgium, Luxembourg and Sweden to transpose the Employer Sanctions Directive which introduces rules on sanctions and measures against employers of irregularly-staying migrants.
- Committee of the Regions issues opinion on policies for integrating immigrants must be developed at local level based on a bottom-up approach.
- Follow European Commission DG Home Affairs on twitter.
- European Court of Justice rules that EU law does not prevent a Member State from granting child benefits to posted or seasonal workers (C-611/10 and C-612/10).
- European Court of Justice judgment on the Netherlands rules that limiting funding for studying abroad to students who have resided in the Netherlands for three out of the last six years is contrary to EU law on the freedom of movement of workers (C-542/09).
- ECtHR Chamber judgment on the legality of interceptions at sea of migrant vessels.
- Opinion of the European Data Protection Supervisor on the Communication on Migration.
- Recent Fundamental Rights Agency report on "Racial Equality Directive".
- UNODC release International Framework for Action to Implement the Smuggling of Migrants Protocol.
- Latest newsletter from EU-funded Migrations between Africa and Europe Project (MAFE).
- ACP Observatory on Migration report on "Caribbean Human Development Report 2012: Human Development and the Shift to Better Citizen Security".
- Defensor del Pueblo in Spain publish a report on situation of foreign minors in Spain entitled, "Children or adults? Age assessment practices".
- The Observatory of Migration East of the EU (CARIM-East) issues Call for Papers on "Development and Side Effects of Remittances in the CIS Countries and Georgia".
16 February 2012
- Mediterranean Migration Network launched within the context of the project "Establishment of multilateral networks with countries in the Mediterranean region".
- ECRE report entitled "Return of Children" looks at 'best practices in the field of the return of minors'.
- MAFE international research project funded under the Seventh Framework Programme of the European Commission (FP7) brings together seven European and three African partners to carry out new data collection, followed by analysis on migration between Africa and Europe.
- Migration Policy Institute publish report entitled "Irregular Migration in Europe".
- Official launch of the European Office of the Migration Policy Institute in Brussels on 27 February 2012.
1 February 2012
- Recent IOM report on "Gallup World Poll data: The Many Faces of Global Migration", presents data on lives of migrants and potential migrants worldwide.
- Launch of Return Migration and Development Platform (RDP).
- Migration Policy Group webinar recording on "How to Respond to the EU Family Reunion Consultation" presents a series of four policy briefings on Family Reunion
- EIPA host seminar on "Planning Workable Policies for Migrant Integration in the EU Member States" in Maastricht on 16-17/February 2012.
27 January 2012
- Recent Eurostat release (4/2012) shows that in 2010 migrant workers' remittances in the EU increased by 3%.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) release new report on "The Racial Equality Directive: application and challenges".
- Eurostat publish statistical report on “Migrants in Europe - A statistical portrait of the first and second generation” (2011 edition).
- Frontex issue quarterly report on migratory trends at the EU External Borders for Quarter 3, 2011.
- IOM publish “World Migration Report 2011 - Communicating Effectively about Migration”.
- Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA) make available summary conclusions of annual Fundamental Rights Conference (FRC) on 'Dignity and rights of irregular migrants'.